Friday, February 11, 2011

Jerry Sloan



Zach here. I'm new to this whole blogging thing. In fact, this is my very first blog post ever. But I feel it is needed.

Yesterday, Jerry Sloan, 23-year head coach of the Utah Jazz, resigned. For those who don't know, I am a huge Jazz fan. Although I was raised in Arizona, I was born in Utah. My dad was born and raised in Utah, so he was a big Jazz fan, and I guess I was somewhat of a daddy's boy. My childhood was filled with Utah Jazz bedspreads, wallpaper, Stockton and Malone jerseys for my birthdays, a lot of ridicule from my friends at school (especially when the Jazz lost), and a lot of heartbreak (especially when the Jazz lost in the Finals two years in a row). Although the players have changed, one thing had always been the same: Jerry Sloan was on the sidelines every game. Drawing up plays, cursing at the refs, getting technical fouls just to pump some life into the team. And then yesterday, out of the blue, he stepped down.
Honestly, I didn't think something like this would really affect me this much, but it is just so sad the way that it happened. Kind of complicated, but it's just really sad. Maybe if it had been at the end of a good season where we went deep into the playoffs, or anything else really it would have been different. But the season just hasn't been going that great. More than anything, this news comes the day after a big loss to, of all teams, the Bulls. The same team that has caused so much other heartbreak and, yes, tears in my life.
Anyway, thanks Jerry Sloan, for 23 good years of basketball. Let's hope the Jazz can still win without him (tonight versus the Suns didn't look too good).

No comments:

Post a Comment