Saturday, May 21, 2011

Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op



This morning I was able to go pick up my bountiful basket from Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op. I didn't really know what I was getting into but I am very satisfied.

All of this for $15!

The way it works is you go online on Monday and order a basket then go to one of their locations to pick it up on Saturday. They have tons of locations in the Idaho, Arizona, Utah area. So all you friends and family in Mesa should check this out and see if you would like it. It's about 50% fruits and 50 % veggies and sometimes they have extras like bread, cookies, tropical fruit, or mexican food ingredients and stuff. I didn't get any extras this time because I just wanted to see what the normal basket was like.

They have your basket all ready and divided for you to pick up.
A cool thing about it is that it's all volunteer run. So as a participant you have to go volunteer about every 4 times you buy. Which I think would be fun to do anyway.


So here's my dilemma. I have no clue how to cook vegetable. I haven't ever eaten a ton and Zach and I wanted to get some more good food into our diet so here we are. But I need a lot of advice on how to cook this stuff. Grandma that means you need to comment:)
I was soooo excited to see the corn. I love corn on the cob.
Not the biggest fan of mushrooms but Zach loves them.
Is that Cabbage or lettuce in the top right corner?
And what the heck do you make with Chard?
Aren't these tomatoes beautiful? I think
I'll make some chili or stew with them?
Any yummy tomato suggestions from you readers?
Giant bananas! Good thing I've been making a ton
of smoothies lately. I'll be needing these guys everyday.
A nice bushel of apples.
And I don't know what these things are...

So hopefully this next week I'll be posting all of the new dishes I will be trying with my yummy veggies. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tara,
    As you know Grandpa is the corn king. Shuck & wash and put in a large pan and barely cover with water. (Little secret: I always add a couple of tablespoons of sugar to the water and everyone wants to know where I got that really sweet corn,)Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Eat with a lots of butter and salt.

    Top right had corner is Romaine lettuce. Yummy in salads. You've eaten it a lot in salads you buy, but probably didn't pay any attention.

    Chard you cut up in large pieces (cut off the stems) and steam with a little water. It tastes a lot like spinich. If you like greens you will probably like it. We don't like greens that well. Try putting some fresh in you salad.

    The chiles look like Jalepeno and Serrano. Be sure and take out the seed. You could make some salsa with some tomatoes and chiles, but be careful. They are probably hot little succers.

    I just steam carrots (I have a steamer) or you can cut up and cook in some water until tender. Season with S & P and butter. Yummy.

    The bottom one looks like some kind of tropical fruit. Put some in your Smoothie and see what it tastes like.

    I am trying to figure out what to do with a lots of Zucchini that is coming from our garden. We've had it steamed and fried and I am making some Zucchini bread. I'll let you know how that turns out.

    Good Luck
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bottom are pomegranates (I'm pretty sure!)

    Chard is super yummy, I like to cut off the bottom part, then tear the green part from the red line up the middle and steam it. I don't like it much on it's own, but it's super tasty when combined with sweet potatoes and ricotta cheese in a mash. Yummm. I've also made this (http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/11/swiss-chard-and-sweet-potato-gratin/) and it's soooo good.

    And this (http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/12/garlic-butter-roasted-mushrooms/) will probably make you like mushrooms, though it's not healthy. :) So good. So so good.

    I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm this looks yummy :) I wanna try it out. A good way to keep flavor and not let the nutrients get away is to steam your veggies! salt and pepper and voila!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if your hubby will like this idea, but my hubby has been hooked on them for a while. If Zach likes mushrooms.... try this-

    Wipe dirt of tops of mushrooms with damp paper towel. (mushrooms absorb water, so don't rinse or soak)
    Then remove the stems and throw them away.
    brown about a 1/3 to a 1/2 pound of sausage.
    Drain the grease.
    Then put it in a mixing bowl and mix with about a fourth a package of cream cheese (give or take to your heart's desire). You can also season this mixture however you like. Then spoon in to the mushroom caps and bake at about 400 until mushrooms are cooked (about 10-15 minutes)
    Enjoy. :)

    those are the directions my husband gave (because I don't like/eat them either) Hopefully it works out for him. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Thanks for all the great ideas guys! So far I've made yummy corn on the cob and chili:)
    And grandma I like adding zucchini to my pastas if you and grandpa ever eat pasta. love ya

    ReplyDelete