Saturday, May 14, 2011

My First Skirt!

My project this whole week has been this skirt tutorial which I found on Say Yes to Hoboken!


Ok so I had never sewn clothes before so this was quite the adventure. But I think it turned out cute! Perfect for summer days.
And this project was really good to get me really acquainted with my sewing machine. I learned sooo much!

Things I learned
  • Read the directions through very thoroughly before cutting. While stitching is mostly reversible, cutting is not!
  • Really measure your waist. I was scared to make it too small but now it's a little too big. Just remember to add enough extra for your zipper.
  • Youtube is amazing! You can learn anything you want there.
  • Even though it might be cute to use a lighter thread so that you can see the stitching, just stick to a thread that matches.
  • A heavier fabric might make this pattern cuter.
  • Sewing machines are amazing! All the different feet and settings they have. So cool.
  • And even though I have youtube and the internet, I still need my Mommy.
Once I started this skirt I realized that this tutorial isn't all that clear so I had to resort to a few helpful youtube clips.

This one helped me with the invisible zipper.
I know it's not totally invisible and it's a little off...
but pretty good for a first timer learning from youtube!!

So much easier than by hand.

Another REALLY AWESOME thing that I did to save some money, was to buy my fabric from D.I.. I always look through the bed sheets when I go there because they are so cheap and supply a lot of fabric! I know it sounds kind of gross to be using someone's old bed sheets but hey wash it good and it works. And you never would have known if I didn't tell you right?

Now onto my next DIY!


4 comments:

  1. thats awsome !!! congrats on your first skirt...way cute !!! welcome to the amazing sewing club :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing that really helps. Iron everything as you go i.e. all your folds, hem, etc. Makes it a lot easier to get open seams, straight hems, etc. I am so proud of you. Love Ya,
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow T that is awesome! It's adorable. What kind of sewing machine do you have?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you still need your Mommy!! :)
    And GREAT job!!!! I'm so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete